31.7.21

The Soul

"Omega, it's Hera. You have to come back to Ryloth."
"Isn't she the kid from the weapons drop?"
"Hera?"
"The Empire's taken my parents, and they're after me now too. I'm sending coordinates. Please hurry. I need your help."
"You gave her our comm channel?"
"For emergencies, and that sounded pretty urgent. We have to go."
"Perhaps the situation is not as dire as described. Children often overreact."
"No, we don't. You heard her. She needs us."
"Omega, it's a big galaxy. We can't put ourselves on the line every time someone's in trouble."
"Why not? Isn't that what soldiers do?"
~

Chatting in the comments, the other day I pointed out how in all the SW series or movies the writers always grace us with inspiring kind, open and compassionate characters. Someone very nicely called them "The Soul" of their respective group of heroes. And indeed they are.
Rey, Eli, Luke, Ahsoka are always ready to help, up to risk it all for giving others support and understanding.

Omega is nothing less.
She is strong-willed, kind, optimistic.
She can find the perfect words to convince grew-up rough and powerful men to jeopardize their lives to assist random strangers (or even creatures!), just based on the simple idea that "it is the right thing to do".
Just because "WHY NOT?"

So, I want to learn from her.
The next time I will feel lazy or that it costs me too much to reach out, next time I will be afraid of not making any difference, protected by my being a passive bystander, I will think to Omega.

"WHY NOT?"

[PS. Similar to this attitude, but more specifically applied in the context of preventing violence, the "Green Dot Bystander Intervention" is built on the premise that power-based violence can be measurably and systematically reduced within a community. If you never heard about this before, I do suggest checking wiki, because it is really a simple concept, but it can change lives]

[Photo: Target Exclusive Omega Funko Pop, (tiny) Lula by SpookySweet on Etsy, and Shopdisney Wrecker (huge) mug]

No comments: