27.9.21

Everyone has a story

“What about you, Vos? What’s your story?”
She was expecting some kind of wisecrack. Instead, Vos looked as if he had no idea how to answer. He turned his head, gazing up at nothing. “You know,” he said, his voice slightly slurred and touched with surprise, “I don’t think I have a story.”
“Everyone has a story,” Ventress pressed, curious now.
He raised his head, drained the glass, and set it down. “Not me. I mean… I’ve done things, seen things. Things have happened to me. But… I don’t think I have a story.”
This had clearly never occurred to him. He seemed to be almost reeling from the revelation. Ventress wondered if it was the alcohol talking, or if Vos really did feel as lost as he sounded. “What about you?” he asked. “What’s your story? Or do you not have one, either?”
“Oh, I have a story all right,” Ventress said. “Quite a lot of stories, actually.”

The story of a girl given into slavery.
Of a Jedi Padawan.
Of a dark Master’s apprentice.
Of a Nightsister.

“But none of them end well.” She frowned into her glass. Maybe the delicious liquor was having an effect on her, too. She was seldom maudlin, and she didn’t like it.
“I wonder,” Vos mused, turning again to look at her. “What’s worse…to have unhappy stories, or have no story at all?”
~

Asajj Ventress.
The "efficient warrior, the cold rager, the temptress practicing both the wink and the nod and the full-on gambit."
A "goddess of love and war and hope and ecstasy".
Vibrant and strong.
Passionate, fearless.

And so, so incredibly alone.
All her life, trusting the wrong people.
Sold, abandoned, cursed, betrayed, rejected.

Like all the other children of Dathomir, the ultimate Euripidean character.
Tragic and extreme.
Yet, so painfully human.

[Photo: elegant and stunning pin by @ritarussiandoll_pins on a design by @omgbartang. In the background, one of my absolute favorite Her Universe leggings, and the first order I ever made from the brand]

No comments: