18.10.21

So little about me

“Hey, Thrawn…” Ezra said after passing him a refilled waterskin. It was night already.
“Yes?”
“I just realized... I don't know the name of your race.” [] Ezra tried to sound casual as he sat on the opposite side of the campfire.
Thrawn rose his red eyes to him, analyzing the Jedi for a moment. “Chiss. The name of my race is Chiss. [] I would have assumed Agent Kallus would have informed you of these details when he defected to the Rebellion,” Thrawn raised an eyebrow inquisitively. []
“Maybe he did? I might have skipped over that part of the report,” he shrugged. []
“You knew so little about myself and yet you managed to defeat me,” Thrawn seemed to show amusement at this thought. []
“Aren't you angry about that?” [] Ezra hadn’t realized the question nagged him since the first day he woke up here.
“Your maneuver took me by surprise and, yes, I must confess I was initially upset,” Thrawn explained softly.
“...and scared” Ezra added truthfully but maybe too bluntly. Thrawn’s eyes met his, narrowing, his expression hardened.
“Yes. Jumping into hyperspace with no windows and held by bizarre creatures can be regarded as frightening.”
“But you are not upset anymore?" [] It just simply confused him why Thrawn had never complained or lashed out to him in revenge. Thrawn had lost everything he had worked for in the Empire.
“You accomplished something remarkable. [] I told you before I had originally dismissed you, and that was my error. Only someone else had come as close as you. [] He was known as Nightswan" Thrawn’s tone was solemn and full of respect. "I had attempted to save him during the Battle of Batton."
"Wait, I know that one. A whole city was destroyed. All those people died because of you" Ezra’s tone lowered, anger found again a grab on him.
"That was the official statement, yes. I took responsibility for it" Thrawn said calmly but there was a hint of disgust in his eyes. “Governor Pryce was there. Perhaps you would be able to persuade her to tell you more about the events of that day, but I doubt she survived the attack on Lothal,” he added offhandedly as if he was actually glad of that part.
~

I so need all this.
Understanding.

[Photo: pin by @maxxmerch. Note: I slightly darkened Ezra's skin color.]

No comments: