31.3.22

Not in this galaxy

“I understand,” Ar’alani said.
Which wasn’t to say that she agreed with him. Or that she had any intention of following such a ridiculous order.
Defying an Aristocra syndic could mean the end of her career, of course. But she’d put her career on the line so many times before that it was almost becoming routine.
~

I am writing this on an emotional night.
A night in which media representation of decisive and committed, yet sweet and caring women is painfully needed.
A night in which I feel a galaxy far far away from any kind of visible step forward for women to have real positions of power or leadership.
A night in which I face, once again, how micro and macro aggression, harassment, abuse, affect us in any field.

How many times we dodged a sexual comment faking misunderstanding, how many times we laughed at a blatant insult from the "it was just a joke" guy, how many times we were underestimated, dismissed, diminished.
Even the strongest of us, ready to capitulate under the weight of the umpteenth tiny little rock thrown at us.

Today, the last day of this "Women's History Month" (which I hate with a passion, feeling that my existence should be acknowledged more than a day or a month in a year, thank you very much), I feel unhopeful and sad.

And then, I come here.
For preparing a post about an extraordinary blue Admiral, who loves "music and food", "musical performances, and, certainly, a modicum of drink".
Who storms into the offices of her superiors like her meticulously forged career is worth nothing, just because it is the right thing to do.
Who is respected, listened to, admired, cherished, loved.

And I know why I love Star Wars so much.

[Photo: detail of a wonderful art print by @balangawa]

No comments: