4.8.22

Jorj

“I see,” Mitth’raw’nuruodo said. “I appreciate your honesty, Jorj Car’das.”
“You can just call me Car’das,” Car’das said. “In our culture, the first name is reserved for use by friends.”
“You don’t consider me a friend?”
“Do you consider *me* one?” Car’das countered.
He regretted the words the instant they were out of his mouth. Sarcasm was hardly the option of choice in a confrontation like this.
But Mitth’raw’nuruodo merely lifted an eyebrow. “No, not yet,” he agreed calmly. “Perhaps someday. You intrigue me, Car’das. Here you sit, captured by unfamiliar beings a long way from home. Yet instead of wrapping yourself within a blanket of fear or anger, you instead stretch outside yourself with curiosity.”
Car’das frowned. “Curiosity?”
“You studied my warriors as you were brought aboard,” Mitth’raw’nuruodo said. “I could see it in your eyes and face as you observed and thought and evaluated. You did the same as you were taken to your quarters, and again as you were brought here just now.”
“I was just looking around,” Car’das assured him, his heart beating a little faster. Did spies rank above or below smugglers on Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s list of undesirables? “I didn’t mean anything by it.”
“Calm yourself,” Mitth’raw’nuruodo said, some amusement creeping into his voice. “I’m not accusing you of spying. I, too, have the gift of curiosity, and therefore prize it in others.
~

“There are all too few idealists in this universe, Car’das. Too few people who strive always to see only the good in others. I wouldn’t want to be responsible for crushing even one of them. [] You have excellent insight into the hearts of others. Stratis has chosen well.”
“I guess we’ll find out.” Car’das held out his hand. “Well. Good-bye, Commander. It’s been an honor knowing you.”
“As it has for me, as well,” Thrawn said, taking his hand. “Farewell … Jorj.”
~

I do not have the number of characters or the literary ability to describe my love for Jorj Car’das.
So, yeah.
I hope the quote (and Thrawn's own affection) will do.

[Photo: I will never thank @ritarussiandoll_pins enough for believing in this pin. Thrawn's expression, his lips, his eyes. It is a masterpiece. Art by CaoAmoss on Twitter]

No comments: