29.12.21

Like the wind

That is the way it is with a wound.
The wound begins to close in on itself, to protect what is hurting so much.
And once it is closed, you no longer see what is underneath, what started the pain.
~

Writing today, before watching the first episode of "The Book of Boba Fett", I am tickled pink, nonsensically ranting about this for days.
Although possibly accounted among the "first wave" of "crazy fans" of a rather "obscure" character as Boba Fett, I am actually not excited just because of him. To be frank, I found his appearance in "The Mandalorian" amazingly cool, but slightly out of character.
People change, especially after, possibly, being digested for some time by a Sarlacc. Nonetheless, I personally noted a shift in his portrayal there.

But I am digressing.
Like most of you, lovely people in this community, my total eagerness and expectations are for Fennec Shand.
From her introduction to her further development in TBB, she quickly becomes one of my favorite SW characters.

And, yes, partially for nothing related to her fashionable appearance, quotable lines, and overall overwhelming awesomeness.
But because she is portrayed by the one and only Ming-Na Wen.

"The Joy Luck Club" is one of my favorite books, and her interpretation of June is simply sublime. And, I have to admit, "ER" was my very own introduction to a type of "active fandom" that, later, expanded to more franchises. And I do not even start with Mulan or Agent Melinda May.
[WHAT. A. CHARACTER.]

On top of that, having a 58-years-old woman kicking asses in a multimillion dollars production is exactly the spirit with which I want to start my 2022. As much I adored Leia's matriarchal leadership in the sequels, having Mrs. Wen jumping from rocks while shooting stormtroopers is the kind of mood I want for the future of this franchise and our society, in general.

~
I had on a beautiful red dress, but what I saw was even more valuable.
I was strong. I was pure.
I had genuine thoughts inside that no one could see, that no one could ever take away from me.
I was like the wind.
~

[Photo: creative and perfect, @geekablycute Fennec Shand earrings.
Both quotes are from "The Joy Luck Club" by Amy Tan]

No comments: