13.12.21

Unexpected Alliances

Thrawn stared at the fire with a somber look. []
“Is the Empire the greatest evil you can phantom? Or is it perhaps the Sith? [] The Emperor is cruel and full of malice. I won't deny it... but [] the darkness lurking beyond your cosmic shores is far, far worse. [] One must act as necessary for the survival of life in the galaxy.” []
“That's still not an excuse for the injustices the Empire has done!"
“So you say you would rather choose to right an injustice over everyone's else lives.”
“That's not what I meant-”
“I know,” Thrawn raised a hand as a gesture of understanding. “Your sense of duty and empathy to those around you compel you to take immediate action, sometimes without thinking ahead of its consequences.” []
“The decisions and choices I made with it were my own. I can't simply turn a blind eye to the suffering of people!” Ezra’s hand became fists, trying to stay calm, but Thrawn was making it difficult. Perhaps sensing this, Thrawn’s voice became softer trying to diffuse the situation.
“You chose this path even if it took you away from your people, because it was the only way to save them. I commend you for that. I have been doing the same far longer than you. During all this time I have learned one must carry the weight of all their choices. Even the regrettable ones. There are no easy choices in war.”
“That sounds like Mon Mothma,” Ezra calmed down and shook his head giving a half-hearted chuckle. [] Thrawn gave him a small smile in turn.
“Ah, Senator Mon Mothma. Had I stayed and outlived the Emperor, she might have been my first choice of contact to come to a truce with your Rebellion... if it hadn't been destroyed by then, of course. She could have been reasoned with.”
“She-... you-... what?” Ezra stuttered in disbelief, looking at Thrawn in shock.
“There would have been disagreements, but nothing insurmountable I presume.”
["Last Known Trajectory" by @soulnova_alizrak]
~

[Note: this excerpt is very long but so perfect. I will divide it into two posts]
[Photo: pin by @fantasypinstress]

No comments: