14.4.22

Protect them at all costs

"You take everything Grand Admiral Thrawn says as words carved in stone, don't you?"
"Hardly," Faro said. "I've disagreed with him on more than one occasion."
"And yet I imagine you always let him get his way?"
"He’s my superior officer," Faro said stiffly. "There’s not *a his* way and *a my* way, and I don’t let him do anything. He gives the orders. I follow them."
"And he’s always right?"
"No, of course not," Faro said. "No one is. But when he’s wrong, it’s usually because he has insufficient or faulty information, and he’s always quick to correct any false steps."
~

“I’m sorry, Supreme General,” Samakro said evenly. []
Ba’kif eyed him. [] “You don’t like Thrawn, do you, Mid Captain?”
Samakro hesitated. “Permission to speak honestly, sir?”
“Certainly.”
“No, sir, I don’t,” Samakro said. []
He seemed to brace himself. “But that doesn’t really matter. He’s an excellent commander, and he knows how to handle his ship. Even his most outrageous hunches are generally proved correct, and he always brings us through whatever storms we find ourselves in. Always.”
“You sound like a good first officer,” Ba’kif commented.
“Which is also the point, sir,” Samakro said. “I’m the Springhawk’s first officer. Senior Captain Thrawn is the Springhawk’s commander. Whatever I might personally think of him is completely irrelevant. I’m an officer of the fleet, he’s my commander, and I will follow him and obey his orders to the best of my ability. Period.”
~

“Admiral?” Biclian asked, frowning at her.
“I was going to offer a thought, but I don’t want to influence your analysis,” Ar’alani said. “Carry on.”
“Yes, ma’am.” Biclian turned back to his board.
“If you can’t tell him, can you at least tell me?” Wutroow asked.
“I especially can’t tell you,” Ar’alani said, giving her a wry smile. “Your brain is the one I rely on to make sure mine is functioning properly.”
“Ah.” Wutroow gave Ar’alani a sideways look. “Always something of a disappointment when you open up a compliment and find a no wrapped inside.”
“Patience is a virtue,” Ar’alani reminded her.
“So I’ve heard. Not a big fan of it, myself.”
~

I will protect these characters at all costs.
Finally continuing my "first officers" series (started with Faro), I am unable to express properly how deeply grateful I am to Mr. Zahn for this feeling that warms my heart while reading about this large and beautiful (found) family.

No comments: