8.9.22

Reconsider my path

“Did you learn anything?”
“We learned plenty,” Nightswan said. His expression holds determination. “We learned that Grand Moff Tarkin’s involved at the top, for one thing. We learned the work is being done at a single location, as opposed to being spread out all across the galaxy.”
“Not entirely correct,” Thrawn said. “There is a main work site, but there is also a subsidiary one.”
“Really?” Nightswan frowned. “Interesting. I don’t usually miss things like that.”
“An excusable error,” Thrawn said. “Most of the materials for the subsidiary location were delivered some time ago, with only small additions since then. []”
“Thanks, that makes me feel a little better.” Nightswan’s voice holds dry humor. “Still, it sounds like we’re talking a single main structure or interwoven structure, rather than a group of large ships or battle stations. Otherwise, it would be safer to split off the ships to different locations.”
“I agree.” []

“If I were to aid you in your search for answers, would it persuade you to join me?” []
“What exactly do you know?”
“I have no direct knowledge,” Thrawn said. “But I, too, have gathered some of the pieces of the puzzle to myself. I may also know where the main work site is located.” []
“And [] what then? What would you do? You serve the Empire, and this project, whatever it is, represents a great deal of Imperial resources.”
“I do indeed serve the Empire,” Thrawn said. “But I also serve the causes of the Chiss Ascendancy. If I deem this project to be a threat against them, I might find it necessary to reconsider my path.”
Nightswan’s expression holds interest and temptation. His fingers rub restlessly against his leg []. “And if I surrender and accept your terms? What are you offering?”
“We will journey to the site together.”
“And the people of Creekpath and Batonn?” []
“I will do what I can.”
Nightswan shakes his head, his body stance holding resignation. “And therein lies the problem. This is a political situation, and you have no political power. On one hand, we have a puzzle, and a fear of what the Empire is planning. On the other hand, I have real flesh-and-blood people to protect. I’m sorry.”
“As am I.”
~


No comments: