31.10.22

Carved in my soul

kk"Am I interrupting?"
"The hell's your problem? What's that? Another list with my name on it?"
"Actually, yes, but only because you signed your notes. Every page, I might add. Eh, a little egotistical, don't you think?"
"Is that why you came? To insult me?"
"No, no, I was… I was intrigued by what you said at the trial."
"That makes you the only one."
"Yes, well, I wanted to talk about your work. This Hextech theory of yours."
"It's not a theory. I saw with my own eyes what magic can do, the lives it could save. You've no idea how beautiful it is. And now it's gone. No one believed me."
"Nobody's ever believed in me. A poor cripple from the undercity. I was an outsider the moment I stepped foot in Piltover. I didn't have the benefits of a patron or a name. I simply believed in myself. Which is why I'm here. Because I think you're on to something. I want to help you complete your research."
"No one thinks it can be done."
"When you're going to change the world, don't ask for permission."
"I don't even know your name."
"It's Viktor."
[Arcane, 1x02]
~

I know.
Quoting this dialogue is a cheap move on my part.
But this exchange between Jayce and Viktor is pure perfection.
In a few glorious lines, phenomenal animation, and brilliant acting, the two characters are sublimely delineated.

Jayce's embarrassed scoff, while caught on the edge of his extreme act.
His inspired and focused eyes when he says, "You've no idea how beautiful it is."
His bewildered but grateful touch, while gently accepting back his bracelet (and his life) from a stranger's pale hand.

The "eh" and Viktor's expression, that will be my comfort image for years to come.
The prompt sarcasm, but also the overwhelming sincerity of that "no, no", because his banter is never intended to hurt.
And how sweet and vulnerable he sounds when simply saying, "it's Viktor."

Every word. Every look.
Carved in my soul.

[I do not think I want to be saved from my hyperfixation]
[But Happy Halloween, you'll!]

No comments: