12.5.21

Does love make us blind?

"You are so…beautiful."
"It’s only because I’m so in love."
"No. No, it’s because I’m so in love with you."
"Then love has blinded you?"
"Well…that’s not exactly what I meant."
"But it’s probably true."
~

Considered by the most as one of the worst romantic conversations ever, I think that is, instead, dramatically representative of Padmé and Anakin's emotional state at that moment.
And, no, I am not discussing their ability to perceive each other beauty (you should be truly blind for that), but their lost connection with reality.

I do not believe that love makes us blind.
But there are some relationships, some complicated ones, some very intense ones, that see us totally lost in them.
Deep down, though, we know painfully well how things ARE.
We know how much of our personal beliefs and character we sacrificed in the process, but we are simply too "in love" (or happy) to do something about it.

And if I can expect to live in this passionate illusion from someone like Anakin, not exactly a character that I would place at the top of the list of grounded and rational ones, I have serious difficulties to pardon that to Padmé.
Probably, because I cannot pardon myself when I do the same.

And, yes, YES.
I do agree with every one of you that Padmé did not write herself, and, for the decisive young Queen she was in Episode I, she would probably question herself more when her boyfriend went from 'mourning anger' to 'mass murder'. (Oh, Ani, you killed kids. There, take a cookie).

But, tragically, I do believe that even very strong and bold personalities can, on some occasions, be tamed and dimmed in the shadows of a potent relationship.
To be clear, I do necessarily consider this 'bad': everyone has the right to change, adapt, compromise for someone. However, I guess, there is a limit in how much an *I* can be blended in a *WE*.

And this, before skewered kids are involved.

[Photo: celebrating the most uncomfortable nightgown in the movie history -can you imagine sleeping ON pearls?- these gorgeous earrings by @sanctuarymoonstudio are seriously divine. I feel elegant when I wear them. And, truly, I am SO not].

No comments: