24.1.22

Necessity

Thrawn narrowed his eyes. “Make no mistake, Bridger. I have no love for the Empire or its Emperor. I served the Empire out of necessity for a strategic advantage against the total annihilation of my people.”
“So you simply turned a blind eye to the plight of those being oppressed by the Empire?” Ezra pressed.
“I did what I could where I could for the citizens of the Empire, ensuring fair treatment and justice under my watch. There was a limit of what I was able to provide, of course, as certain behaviors were expected of me as I achieved my rank of Grand Admiral. The scrutiny was more severe then. I must stress to you, that I do not find pleasure or amusement in the mistreatment of others. I strived to be a voice of reason and restraint against the excess use of force from the rest of the high command. I had hoped that, when the time came, I would have been in a position to influence the election of a new, more capable leader... one to set the tone of a fairer government, one ready to fight the darkness that threatens to destroy us all. That would have also meant ensuring all the forces available in the Core Worlds and Outer Rims would join to defend against this evil... your Rebellion included. If chaos, inner conflict, and lawlessness are allowed, it will mean doom when darkness comes knocking on our door.”
There was a long silence as Ezra looked at him and slowly reached forward with the Force. He found no dishonesty on Thrawn's part.
“You really believe this...” the young man whispered. “That the Empire is the lesser evil.”
“I don't believe, I know it.”
Ezra slightly shifted in his place. He looked at the ground for a moment but then shook his head.
“No. I can not ignore their pain. No suffering should be allowed to stand.”
“Then there will be no one left to suffer at all.”
["Last Known Trajectory" by @soulnova_alizrak]
~

This is the second half of my Dec 13th post.
And I truly treasure this exchange. Although non=canon, this discussion, Ezra's and Thrawn's POVs, are deep and balanced and perfect. No simple answer, no easy exits.
And I can listen to them converse in my head for hours.

[Photo: lovely pins by @armstrongoutpost. Jedi compass from eBay]

No comments: