17.11.22

A Chimaera tale

"The double ring is a prized heirloom of the Marocsaa subclan," the spokesman said quietly. []
For the first time since Thalias had met him, Thrawn seemed genuinely surprised. He looked at Uingali, then at the rings, then at Uingali again. Then, he held out his hand, palm upward. "Thank you," he said. "I will guard it in a place of honor."
~

"This next item, though, I think you should consider taking with you." []
For another moment Thrawn stood motionless, a series of emotions playing across his face. Then, with the same reverence he'd shown the Stybla medal, he took the ring. "I shouldn't accept this," he said, his voice oddly hesitant. [] He took a deep breath and carefully slipped the ring onto the two middle fingers of his right hand. "But in the spirit that it was given, I must with humble gratitude accept it."
~

While the decision to include a symbol under the Chimaera was a creative choice of the "Rebels" artists, Mr. Zahn gifted us with this deeply touching background story.
And I adored it.

However, for two years now, I wondered how a person so modest as Thrawn could go like, "Hey, could you paint the family crest of my alien best friend under the ship you assigned me?"

So, since MY canon IS whatever Mr. Zahn thinks or says, I asked HIM.
And I received the most detailed story of all.
Unfortunately, I am not a writer, and definitely, I am not Mr. Zahn.
So, sorry if I report the mere fabula without pathos or art.

When Thrawn was assigned to the Chimaera, there was no logo.
And it wasn't there until the end of "Thrawn," when he was made Grand Admiral.

According to Mr. Zahn, there are just 12 Grand Admirals, and their ISDs are the only ones that are allowed to have a special mark for distinguishing their ships.
So that enemies and even allies could feel the thrill of facing a Grand Admiral, as pirate flags were bearers of the terrifying notoriety of their famous captains.

And, when asked which symbol he cared to have emblazoned on the underside of the Chimaera, Thrawn was certain: the nest of small stylized snakes with two larger ones curving up from among them.

And, immediately it clicked in me.
Honor, loyalty, sad memories.

So perfectly Thrawn.

No comments: