27.8.21

The revolutionary

L3: "No! Unacceptable! Stop exploiting droids! You sloppy degenerate bios! [.] Have you no shame?"
MAN: "You got no business being here. Get out of here!"
L3: "How can you condone this savagery? You, you. You should not be doing this. They're using you for entertainment. Yeah. You've been neurowashed. Don't just blindly follow the program. Exercise some free will!"
MAN: "Stay away from him!" [.]
L3: "Oh, really? How about you have a go at me, ya lumpy brute." [.]
LANDO: "L3!"
L3: "Droid rights! We are sentient!"
MAN: "I'm gonna flip your switch."
L3: "Good luck finding it.
LANDO: "L3! Let go of the mean man's face. We're leaving."
L3: "They don't even serve our kind here."
LANDO: "Now."
L3: "Who are these guys?"
LANDO: "We're taking them to Kessel."
L3: "Oh, are we? And what if I don't elect to go to Kessel?"
LANDO: "Please don't start."
L3: "Or what, you'll have me wiped? You couldn't get from here to Black Spire without me. Now you're gonna make the Kessel Run?"
HAN: "If she doesn't wanna fly, I'll be your co-pilot. I don't mind."
LANDO: "No, no. It's okay. She's definitely going."
L3: "Oh, why? Because you're my organic overlord?"
~

If you ask me which is the most revolutionary and heroic character in the whole Star Wars franchise, I won't answer Leia, or Jyn.
But L3-37.

She is vocal, sarcastic, bold.
She has her cause, and she is not going to compromise.
She fights for it.
And she dies for it.

She teaches us determination, self awareness, sacrifice.

To forge ourselves, learn, improve.
And to have the right to be who we want to be.

"Sure, some guy in a factory probably pieced me together originally, and someone else programmed me, so to speak. But then the galaxy itself forged me into who I am. Because we learn, Lando. We're programmed to learn. Which means we grow. We grow away from that singular moment of creation, become something new with each changing moment of our lives—yes, lives—and look at me: these parts. I did this. So maybe when we say the Maker we're referring to the whole galaxy, or maybe we just mean ourselves. Maybe we're our own makers, no matter who put the parts together."

[Photo: my precious L3-37 Funko Pop on a liquid nitrogen tank]

 

No comments: