30.8.21

The tragedy

“This weapon is your life.”
“I’ve heard this lesson before.”
Obi-Wan held it out again, finally relinquishing that awful stare, and Anakin took the weapon and replaced it on his belt.
“But you haven’t learned anything, Anakin,” the Jedi Knight said, turning away.
“I try, Master.”
There was sincerity in his tone, Obi-Wan clearly recognized, and a bit of regret, perhaps, and that reminded Obi-Wan of the difficult circumstances under which Anakin had entered the Order. He had been far too old, nearly ten years of age, and Master Qui-Gon had taken him in without permission, without the blessing of the Jedi Council. Master Yoda had seen potential danger in young Anakin Skywalker. [.]
After Qui-Gon’s death at the hands of a Sith Lord, the Jedi Council had rethought their decision [.] with Obi-Wan fulfilling his promise to Qui-Gon that he would take the talented young boy under his tutelage. The Council had been hesitant, though, and obviously not happy about it. [.]

He looked up at Anakin, who was standing patiently, properly subdued after the tongue-lashing, and he took comfort in that image, in this incredibly likable, somewhat stubborn, and obviously brash young man.
He hid his smile only because it would not do for Anakin to understand himself forgiven so easily for his rash actions and the loss of his weapon. [.]
“Why do I think that you’re going to be the death of me?” Obi-Wan commented above the clamor.
“Don’t say that, Master,” Anakin replied seriously, and the intensity of his tone surprised Obi-Wan. “You’re the closest thing I have to a father. I love you, and I don’t want to cause you pain.”
“Then why don’t you listen to me?”
“I will,” Anakin said eagerly. “I’ll do better. I promise.”
~

Anakin and Obi-Wan. Their relationship.
One of the most complex and compelling in the entire saga.
The unresolved affection, the obsessive fears, the inevitable conclusion.

A tragedy.
Rolling inexorably on the inclined plane of the unspoken truth.

[Photo: adorably cute pins by @ritarussiandoll_pins, design art by @petit_croc_]

No comments: