25.11.21

Thrawnsgiving

Eli had dared to see his commander as almost a friend.
What he didn’t know—what he’d never known—was how Thrawn saw him.
Did Thrawn have friends? Eli or anyone else? Had he had friends when he was growing up in the Chiss Ascendancy, or had he always been different, the oddness of his mind leaving his young peers bewildered or resentful?
~

It is said that one should keep one’s allies within view, and one’s enemies within reach. [] But what of friends?
There is no accepted answer, perhaps because true friendship is so exceedingly rare. But I have formulated my own.
A friend need not be kept either within sight or within reach. A friend must be allowed the freedom to find and follow his own path.
If one is fortunate, those paths will for a time join. But if the paths separate, it is comforting to know that a friend still graces the universe with his skills, and his viewpoint, and his presence.
For if one is remembered by a friend, one is never truly gone.
~

Time for reflection and acknowledgment.
Time for understanding a year of emotional suspension and changes.
Time for being grateful for all the love I received and still receiving.
Time for celebrating my precious found family.

In a way, indeed.
Thrawnsgiving.

~
"You see in him a shiny new piece the Stybla can add to the political board," he said, looking back at Lappincyk. "But that's all you see."
"And you think the Mitth see more?"
"I don't know what the Mitth see," Thrass said. "All I know is what I see."
"Which is?"
Thrass took a deep breath. The young, socially awkward caded fascinated by artwork. The unique ability to understand that artwork, while beneath the intellect was the quiet pain of a hidden loss. [] What exactly *did* he see in Thrawn?
"What I see," he said, "is a friend. My friend."
~

"He'll be traveling aboard the Parala; I'll let you know his departure time in case you wish to see him off."
"Thank you. I would." Ar'alani looked at Thrawn as she stoop up. "I'll say my goodbyes then, Thrawn. Don't you dare leave before I get that chance."
"I won't," Thrawn promised, "That's not what friends do."
~

[Photo: Eli and Ar'alani pops by @cardinal.creates]

No comments: