13.11.21

We had each other. That’s how we won.

Poe sat in the dark, beside Leia’s covered body.
“I gotta tell you,” he told her. “I don’t know how to do this. What you did… I’m not ready.”
“Neither were we,” came a voice from the shadows, and Poe turned.
It was Lando Calrissian. []
“Luke. Han. Leia. Me,” Lando said. “Who’s ever ready?” []
“How did you do it?” Poe asked. “How did you defeat an Empire with almost nothing?”
Lando was silent for a long moment. []
“We had each other. That’s how we won. We were friends.”
~

“We have stolen a small Imperial shuttle. Disguised as a cargo ship and using a secret Imperial code, a strike team will land on the moon and deactivate the shield generator.” []
Leia leaned closer to Han and said, “I wonder who they found to pull that off.” []
“General Solo, is your strike team assembled?”
Leia, startled, turned to look at Han. Then her surprise changed to admiration.
“Uh, my team’s ready,” Han said, squirming under the attention that was suddenly given to him. “I don’t have a command crew for the shuttle.”
Beside Han, Chewbacca raised his hairy paw and barked, volunteering. “Well, it’s gonna be rough, pal,” Han said. “I didn’t want to speak for you.” Chewbacca growled cheerfully, conveying to everyone that the choice was his.
Han smiled. “That’s one.”
“Uh, General,” Leia said, “count me in.”
“I’m with you, too!” Luke volunteered as he entered the room from the rear. [] Making his way down to the ampitheater’s floor, Luke arrived before Leia, who embraced him warmly. Then, sensing a change in him, she pulled away and looked into his eyes. “What is it?” she asked.
Luke thought, *I still can’t believe she’s my sister*. But he couldn’t tell her now. He hesitated, then said, “Ask me again sometime.”
Han, Chewbacca, and Lando crowded around Luke as the assembly broke up.
“Luke,” Han said, extending his hand. Luke took it. “Hi, Han… Chewie.” It feels so good to be among friends again.
R2-D2 beeped a singsong observation to C-3PO. [] “‘Exciting’ is hardly the word I would choose.”
~

[Photo: Leia, Han, and Luke mini Funko Pop.]

No comments: