26.1.23

Inked

“This is Uingali,” the spokesman said as the Pacc stopped in front of Thrawn. “He has something he wishes to give you.”
For a moment Uingali stood motionless. Then, with clear reluctance, he lifted both hands in front of him, one hand tugging at the fingers of the other. A moment later he’d slid a double ring off two of the fingers, the twin circlets connected by a short, flexible mesh. Another moment of hesitation, and he held the double ring toward Thrawn. “Uingali foar Marocsaa,” he said.
“The double ring is a prized heirloom of the Marocsaa subclan,” the spokesman said quietly. “Uingali wishes you to take it and add it to your artwork, that the subclan and the Marocsaa people will not be forgotten.”
For the first time since Thalias had met him, Thrawn seemed genuinely surprised. He looked at Uingali, then at the rings, then at Uingali again. Then, he held out his hand, palm upward. “Thank you,” he said. “I will guard it in a place of honor.” Uingali lowered his head in a bow as he placed the double ring in Thrawn’s hand. He straightened up, turned, and walked back toward the other Paccosh. []
Thalias peered at the double ring in Thrawn’s palm. It was made of a silvery metal, with a series of curved arcs embossed on the base. A cluster of what looked like small snakes rose from the center of the arcs, flanked by two much larger snakes that curved up and around, crossing each other once and ending with their heads and open mouths pointed defiantly upward.
~

I never was an "Empire gal."
[And I am still not now]
So, marking myself with something too "imperial" was never an option.

But I wanted to celebrate how Thrawn changed my life.
How he was me, and I was him, as I tried to express many times in these past couple of years.
[If you have the time, check at least my posts on Feb 24, and Apr 22, 2021, and Feb 24, 2022 - linked in my stories today]

And then, suddenly, the Marocsaa crest.
Mr. Zahn coding a simple "Rebels" artistic choice as the emblem of everything Thrawn represents.

Loyalty, respect, friendship, sacrifice, care, selflessness, admiration, trust, love.
And I am proud to have it inked on me.

[Photo: tattoo by @joelytattoos]

No comments: