20.4.23

A luminous soul

[Eli] took a step forward, giving the girl his best smile. “Hello, Navigator Un’hee,” he said. [] “I’m Lieutenant Eli. I understand you wanted to talk to me?”
“Yes,” the girl said, her voice soft and nervous. “Do they also call you Ivant?”
“That’s my core name,” Eli said. “Or it would be if I were a Chiss. Obviously, I’m not. In my culture, my friends and family would call me Eli.”
“Eli,” Un’hee said, frowning. “So just the first part?”
“Yes.”
“Strange.”
“Some of the things about us are strange,” Eli conceded. “Of course, to us some of the ways of the Chiss are equally strange. But that’s good. Learning about each other’s ways and learning how we’re alike despite our differences is a way to enrich our lives.” []

“[Vah’nya] told me you weren’t Chiss,” Un’hee said. “She said you don’t stand on either edge, but act only for the whole Ascendancy. [] [She] said that if [Ar’alani] wasn’t here, I could trust you. Was she wrong?”
“No, not at all,” Eli assured her. “You can absolutely trust me, just as I can trust you. []
“Are you worried about her?”
Eli pursed his lips. “I’m worried, yes,” he said. “But only in the sense of uncertainty. Without full knowledge, a person has to rely on trust and hope. Insufficient hope usually comes out as concern.”
He nodded toward the memory wall, the collected trophies and mementos of Ar’alani’s life and career. [] “Standing together, I don’t believe there’s a force in the universe that can defeat both Admiral Ar’alani and Grand Admiral Mitth’raw’nuruodo.”
He raised his eyebrows. “I’d like to prove that to you. Would you help me prove it to you?” []
The girl hesitated, and he saw her eyes drift to the memory wall. “All right,” she said. “But only if you stand beside me.”
Eli nodded. [] “I’ll stand beside you and protect you,” he promised. “No one will approach or interfere. Not as long as I live.”
~

I used parts of this dialogue in the past (twice!), with very different intents.

Today, I am simply here to manifest the luminous soul of Eli Vanto.
The cowboy with the biggest heart.
His compassion, his love.
That should be protected at all costs.

[Photo: art by CaoAmoss, pin by @ritarussiandoll_pins]

No comments: