13.4.23

The blue cake of disappointment

Distracting Eli for allowing Ezra to steal a slice of a freshly baked cake for a minute navigator's joy is a totally legit use of the "controlled diversion" technique, I guess.

Despite the fact that I am daubing my stories with my useless sad feelings, I do not want this space to be anything but a happy place *for everyone*.
I am a sucker for tooth-rotting fluff, and @soulnova_alizrak conveyed that everything is wonderful in life in this snapshot of familiar bliss.

So today, I decided to celebrate (with a couple of days' delay) the birthday of a smol, sweet, fakely-grumpy, big-hearted guy from the Wild Space.
He is precious and must be protected at any cost.

[Ok, the excerpt is bittersweet, but it is so Eli]

~
"Again", the glowing red eyes turned on him. “What do you mean?” []
For all Thrawn’s military skill and insight, he seemed incapable of seeing this one on his own. “I mean, sir, there’s a good chance that you’re going to leave a trail of damaged careers in your wake. In fact, you already have.” []
“There was no such intent on my part.”
“I know that,” Eli said. “It’s not because of anything you’ve done. It’s just the political reaction to—well, to you.”
“That was never my intent in accepting the Emperor’s service.”
“Intent isn’t the point,” Eli said patiently. “The problem is that you don’t fit into the neat little box navy officers are supposed to fill. You’re not human; worse, you’re not from the Core Worlds.”
“Neither are you or many others.”
“But the rest of us Wild Space yokels aren’t flying rings around all the politically connected elite who think they’re such flaming-hot stuff,” Eli pointed out. “You’re showing them up, and they resent you for it. And if they can’t take you down, they’ll go after the people they think helped make you who you are.”
“People like you?” []
“They’d probably come after me if they thought I was worth the effort,” he said, sidestepping the question.
“Do you suggest I try to be less capable?”
“Of course not,” Eli said firmly. “You do that and more people will die and more bad guys get away. I’m just pointing out that you need to be aware that you’re in the political crosshairs.”

No comments: