6.1.21

Suicidal Hero

I know.
I'm trying to diversify the posts, and I just did a comic book one.

Buuuut.
Yesterday night I finally read 'Darth Vader, Dark Heart of the Sith' [2020, TPB vol. 1, which is absolutely SPECTACULAR, btw - but this is another story and another post], and I have an imperative question for you all.

In both this comic and in 'Star Wars' 2020 [TPB, Vol. 1, in my photos above], the action starts just after Bespin.

'The Empire Strikes Back' is my favorite Star Wars movie (yes, yes, probably because it's particularly Luke-centric), and for all the hundreds of times I saw it, there was never a doubt in my mind that Luke, when Vader says <it's the only way>, rationally decides *to die* but not to succumb to the dark side.

He looks at the abyss.
He is destroyed.
Alone.
Everything he believed in, rotting.
He is cornered (pretty literally), and Vader, no, his idolized father is saying that his turning is *inevitable*.
Everything is stripped from him.
He looks at the abyss again.
Then he realizes.
He does have a choice.
Final. Terrible.
And he lets himself go.

I always considered this so powerful.
And courageous.

The ultimate sacrifice.
Dying, for the Rebellion.
Dying, for not inflicting more pain to his friends.
Dying, for the greater good.

It's what a hero does.

(Nothing different from Kanan's last act, IMHO).

Recently, however, I read a post that pointed out how many people did not envision Luke as 'committing suicide', but, ultimately, trying to actually escape, as, in fact, he did.

Although I never truly formed the word 'suicide' in my mind before, I did always think that his rational choice was to die.
Not as the ultimate defeat (as Padme), but THE final act of selflessness.

Nevertheless, my reading yesterday triggered this doubt, and I'm truly curious to read your option about the matter, genuinely fascinated to know your ideas about the whole scene.
What do you think?

No comments: