22.4.21

Exquisite mentoring-Thrawn is exquisite. Epilogue

And so I arrived, after 9 posts, at the conclusion of this "exquisite mentor" series. I loved this journey, and I hope you enjoyed it too.

Curiously, Thrawn thought, for a very long time, to see people like mere assets. He even told Ar'alani once, when he was younger.
At the end of his growing path in "Chaos", he understands that compassion, appreciation, and kindness are actually the true keys.
To cooperation, to motivation, to relationships.
What a leader, a warrior needs.
However, he thinks that Ar'alani alone possesses this very peculiar way to interact with others, something impossible for him. Mostly because his society, like ours, considers rationality as the exact opposite of empathy.

"And she got all that just from reading history?" Che'ri asked.
"That, and the way she looks at the universe," Thrawn said with an oddly sad smile. "Where I see non-Chiss as assets, she sees them as people."
Thalias looked over Che'ri. A lot of people saw sky-walkers as just assets, too. "Makes her a good commander."
"Indeed it does," Thrawn said. "Certainly a better commander than I." [...]
"Her officers follow her with confidence, even eagerness. Mine follow me because they're good Chiss warriors."
"So change," Thalias suggested. "Learn how she does it."
"I'm not certain I can."
"I wasn't sure I could fly," Che'ri said. "You taught me how."

This is, fundamentally, why I love so much that a character like Thrawn exists in a book.
In many representations, very logical people, 'neurodivergents' someone would say, are portrayed as cold, distant, unable to connect, unable to "read people." But the inability to understand society or social constructs has nothing to do with empathy or kindness.

Thrawn observes reality, as he observes arts.
He connects flows, strokes, patterns.
So behaviors, attitudes, facial expressions.
This makes him able to deeply *see* what is underneath. What people *really* feel, fear, think, ARE.

And THAT is why is so important for me, for many of us, to state that his logic doesn't make him rude, evil, or a villain.

But a patient, respectful, caring, exquisite mentor.

No comments: