29.3.21

My journey

"If you can see yourself, you will never be truly blind, Kanan Jarrus, Jedi Knight."

This lightsaber means so much to me.
It was the beginning of a journey.
A journey that, ultimately, led to the existence of this tiny silly nerdy happy space.

And, if you ever had the time to scroll down and down and down, falling like Alice into the rabbit hole, you probably found it featured in many posts.

It is just a prop, not particularly good, nor screen accurate (even if I tried my best to reproduce the colors, at least).

But it's the first saber I made.

The first I sanded.
The first I painted.
And sanded, and painted, and sanded, and painted, and sanded, and painted again.
Yes, like 20 times before being even remotely satisfied.

I never was a crafty person.
I did not know 'grits', or how to apply bondo, or own an airbrush.
But, a little more than a year ago, the pandemic was raging, my trip to Batuu canceled.
I was not there yet to buy 450 dollars Solo Hold empty hilt (good times... 🙃), and so I said.
Why not?

It was a long process.
Frustrating at times. Rewarding mostly.
A way to challenge myself, to learn from my errors.
Having fun.

And I felt like sharing.
Sabers making, and helmet painting, and book reading, and merch finding.
So, this place was born.

Hilt love is subjective.
Like ice cream flavors, sex, and pineapple on pizza.

And, for me, this is the most elegant hilt of the whole Star Wars canon.

[And, no, not just because of Kanan]
[Ok, maybe I'm a little biased, but let's pretend]

The most beautiful saber of all.

[Warning: lightsabers hilts are addictive]

No comments: